Webmaster tools Structured Data Testing Tool - helping bloggers who care about SEO - My Blogger Market

Breaking

Post Top Ad

Responsive Ads Here

Post Top Ad

Responsive Ads Here

8/14/2013

Webmaster tools Structured Data Testing Tool - helping bloggers who care about SEO

This quick-tip introduces the Google Webmaster Tools structured data testing tool, which gives you a view of how your site looks to the search-engines.



quick-tips logo
Today I discovered that Google Webmaster Tools offers tools for testing the structured data on your website.

I haven't seen any announcements about it, just noticed it there when I was looking for something else - so I'm not sure if it's really new, just new-to-me, or I've been lucky enough to get a it before most people do.

You can find it here (or at least that's where I'm finding it):    http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/richsnippets

Once you're at that page, you can paste in either an URL (your own, or someone else) or some HTML, press preview - and the system will show you how the meta-tags, open-graph tags and other Google-supported structured data on your site looks to Google.   This isn't important for many bloggers - but is very useful information if SEO matters for your blog.

And you can also "Select the HTML tab to view the retrieved HTML and experiment with adjusting it." - and so test out the effect of making changes to your template etc.

The results show you:
  • A preview of how the URL looks in a Google search-engine-results-page.
  • Authorship testing results - whether have a Google+ page or profile associated with the site
  • Authorship email verifications results
  • Publisher markup verification status
  • An extract of the structured data


I don't even begin to understand what all the results mean.    And I'm not sure if we can do something about all results that are shown - eg   checking Blogger-hints-and-tips currently tells me that there are values for properties that I've never set (eg blogid and postid)  and also properties that aren't part of the schema, eg:
  • Error: Page contains property "image_url" which is not part of the schema.
  • Error: Page contains property "blogid" which is not part of the schema.
  • Error: Page contains property "postid" which is not part of the schema.


But, much like the syntax-checker provided by Facebook for checking how successful you were at  installing Open Graph tags I'm sure that this will be a useful SEO diagnostic tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is always appreciated. We will try to reply to your queries as soon as time allows.
Note:
1. Make sure to click the "Subscribe By Email" link below the comment to be notified of follow up comments and replies.
2. Please "Do Not Spam" - Spam comments will be deleted immediately upon our review.
3. Please "Do Not Add Links" to the body of your comment as they will not be published.
4. Only "English" comments shall be approved.
5. If you have a problem check first the comments, maybe you will find the solution there.

Post Top Ad

Responsive Ads Here